Armenta named 2013 Fastest Trowel
Arcadio Armenta is the 2013 Fastest Trowel on the Block champion
By Tim O’Toole
Masons and their tenders were highlighted during the 2013 MCAA Convention at the World of Concrete/World of Masonry in Las Vegas on February 6, 2013. The annual Fastest Trowel on the Block competition drew a big audience to catch the action and see who would win the $6,000 grand prize.
The Fastest Trowel on the Block showcases the skill of masons and how important teamwork is in accomplishing a final product. The competition pitted masons from around the world against one another in a show of both speed and craftsmanship. Each contestant's goal was to complete as much of an 18-block-long wall as possible. With the 20-minute time limit that was placed on the contestants, they had to make split-second decisions based on the judging criteria.
Each mason worked quickly to build a quality wall while the crowd cheered them on through the twenty minute competition. After the judges completed their scoring, the results were announced.
The top-placing contestants in this year’s competition were:
Arcadio ArmentaSutter Masonry, Inc.
El Mirage, Ariz.
Tenders: Guadalupe Aragon, Carlos Chacaj
Arcadio Armenta received his first job in the masonry industry eighteen years ago as a tender and worked his way up. This is the first time he has won the MCAA’s Fastest Trowel on the Block competition.
Alfredo CardenasPioneer Masonry, Inc.
Tenders: Humberto Cardenas, Gaciel Flores
Alfredo Cardenas began his career in the masonry industry as a mason tender in Phoenix thirteen years ago. 2013 is the first time he placed in the MCAA’s Fastest Trowel on the Block competition.
Raul ReyesSutter Masonry, Inc.
El Mirage, Ariz.
Tenders: Luis F. Pacheco, Gerardo Patlan
Raul Reyes began working as a tender at Sutter Masonry, Inc. ten years ago and worked his way up to become a mason. This is the first time he competed in the MCAA’s Fastest Trowel on the Block competition.
Winners were presented with trophies, plus first place took home $6,000 and a special trophy from Marshalltown, second place received $2,500, and $1,500 was awarded to third place. All winners received a level from Johnson Level, a Marshalltown tool bag and tools, a gift certificate from STIHL, and additional prizes.
The Mason Contractors Association of America would like to thank the judges from across the country for donating their time and expertise:
- Moroni Mejia, Rhino Masonry, Inc.; Mesa, Ariz.
- Don McCauley, Hunt Country Masonry Inc.; Leesburg, Va.
- Larry Vacala, Restore Masonry, LLC; Chicago
- Andy Brinkmeier, Amerimix; Charlotte, N.C.
- Heath Holdaway, IMS Masonry, Inc.; Lindon, Utah
- Steve Borman, Keystone Masonry, Inc.; Yelm, Wash.
- Robert Collins, Bricklayers and Allied Craftworker Local #4; Irwindale, Calif.
- Bob Thomas, National Concrete Masonry Association; Herndon, Va.
- Chris Wilson, IMS Masonry, Inc.; Lindon, Utah
- Rick Crane, Crane's Masonry; Vinita, Okla.
- Anthony Wilson, Garrett Academy of Technology; North Charleston, S.C.
- National Concrete Masonry Association
- AZ Best Block
- GATORBACK, Inc.
- SPEC MIX, Inc.
- Johnson Level
- Marshalltown Company
MCAA Strategic Partners
- Big River Industries, Inc.
- Dow Building Solutions
- EZ Grout Corporation
- Kennison Forest Products, Inc.
- Mortar Net USA, Ltd.
- Non-Stop Scaffolding
- Oldcastle Building Products
- SPEC MIX, Inc.
- Trademen’s Software, Inc.
The 2014 MCAA Fastest Trowel on the Block will be held Wednesday, January 22, 2014 during the MCAA Convention at the World of Concrete/World of Masonry in Las Vegas.
For more information about the competition, please visit www.fastesttrowel.com.
About the Author
Tim O’Toole is the Director of Marketing, Education, and Information Technology for the MCAA. He has a Masters in Business Administration from Webster University and has worked in the masonry industry since 2003.
- National champion bricklayer ready to defend his title
- Should you clean your own masonry or hire it out?
- Welcome new members
- Join us for the Midyear Meeting
- New savings opportunities from the MCAA
- 2015 Metrolina Chapter Golf Tournament
- IPAF Summit and IAPAs on 4 April 2017
- One month until 2015 MCAA Midyear Meeting
- 2015 MMCA Annual Meeting
- Regional qualifying Utah competition for the “World Series of Bricklaying”