Countdown to World of Concrete 2014
14 things you don’t want to miss
By Kendra Kozen
January is here and that means World of Concrete 2014 is just around the corner. We’re counting down the 14 must-see features of this year’s expo.
1. 40 and Fabulous!This year marks the 40th Anniversary of World of Concrete. From its inception in Houston in February 1975 the show has grown exponentially. Today WOC features over 1,300 exhibitors, 80 + speakers, and more than 50,000 registered professionals. Be a part of history as show management and local dignitaries cut the ribbon and open the 40th World of Concrete show, Tuesday, January 21, at 9:15 am in the Central Hall registration area. Also, grab a commemorative gift at the updated WOC bookstore (now called WOCGEAR).
2. An expo hall that’s on target.To ensure that you see the exhibitors most relevant to your business, the show floor is organized by targeted product areas. Here’s a closer look at the map.
3. The best breakfasts in town.CONCRETE CONSTRUCTION & THE CONCRETE PRODUCER’s editorial staffs will moderate several pre-seminar “power breakfast” morning sessions. A panel of invited WOC seminar speakers and other industry experts will share their concerns and offer solutions to common problems affecting the concrete repair and maintenance industry. Sessions are planned in coordination with daily seminar topics.
4. Rig Racin’Get your game on with WOC’s Rig Racin’, now available for download and playable on mobile platforms. Test your mixer truck driving skills & deliver the materials on time to receive an in-game reward. Arrive late and you’re stuck with a lumpy load. Each level achieved grants access to drive bigger and better vehicles of your choice to combat WOC’s challenging courses set on realistic roadways with different terrain.
5. Dean and DerekThe popular radio and TV hosts of DIY Network’s Rock Solid, Indoors Out, and PBS’s Victory Garden, will present the winners of the 2014 CREWS THAT ROCK CONTEST, sponsored by BASF, at WOC 2014.
6. The WOC AppGet all of the show details on your smartphone or tablet via the WOC Mobile App. It includes and interactive map, calendar feature and show updates.
7. A chance to show your stuffDo you have what it takes to become a WOC champion? Compete in one of several hands-on challenges, or just get a front row seat to watch the action.
8. Show specialsGet to know industry manufacturers and take advantage of these deals and other WOC offers.
9. Engineering DayA WOC first, Thursday, January 23, is ENGINEERING DAY for the 2014 World of Concrete. Check out a new track within the WOC Education Program featuring six seminars specifically for engineers and savvy contractors.
10. Train your trainersWOC 2014 features several opportunities for trainers and other team leads to get the information they need to keep your crews motivated and highly skilled.
11. Hoover DamGet an up close look at the Hoover Dam with a special WOC tour. The Hoover Dam and Lake Meade Water Intake Project Tour is scheduled for Sunday, January 19.
12. Market dataFind out the latest on resilient construction opportunities in the residential housing market from Hanley Wood Chief Economist Jonathan Smoke.
13. Continuing educationThere are several opportunities for CE credits and new training Check the schedule to make sure you don’t miss out.
14. Vegas Baby!You know what they say about Vegas … From fine dining and casinos to golf, spas and world class entertainment, Sin City has it all. What’s your favorite hot spot?
For the latest on WOC 2014 follow us on Twitter, along with World of Concrete (#WOC2014).
About the Author
Kendra Kozen is a Content Producer at Hanley Wood.