NAWIC installs 2015 - 2016 national president and new board members
Riki F. Lovejoy , CBT, CIT leads NAWIC
The National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC) installed Riki F. Lovejoy, CBT, CIT, as its 61st national president during NAWIC's Annual Meeting and Convention in Nashville, Tenn., on Sept. 4. Lovejoy, owner of RFL Consulting Solutions Inc., has been a member of NAWIC's Greater Orlando, Fla., Chapter since 1987.
"As we start our 61st year, we have successfully completed the redistricting of our Regions and are already feeling the excitement of the possibilities this brings to our Association," says Lovejoy. "Additionally, we hope that with the inspiration of our newer, younger members, as well as the history that our veteran members bring to this Association, NAWIC will be the resource for leaders in the construction industry."
Lovejoy's goal for the upcoming year is to encourage NAWIC members to step out of their comfort zone and take on leadership roles, not only within NAWIC, but in their professional and social lives. Lovejoy has spoken to multiple groups about what it takes to become a leader in the field, in the office, on the playing field or any other environment that is a part of an individual's life. She has developed a tag line, "Saying Yes is a Growth Experience," as she has realized what saying yes has meant for her personally and professionally.
Lovejoy's passion for professional and personal development leads her to continue the expansion of NAWIC's Professional Development and Education committee that is fast becoming one of the main resources for NAWIC's members and, ultimately, for all women in construction.
NAWIC also installed officers president-elect Connie M. Leipard, CIT, Central Missouri Chapter; VP Stephanie K. Crane, CIT, Greater Birmingham, Ala., Chapter; treasurer Jennifer M. Swinney, CBT, CDS, CIT, San Antonio, Texas, Chapter; secretary Diane I. Mike, CBT, Fort Worth, Texas, Chapter; and immediate past president Sandy K. Field, CBT, CIT, Houston, Texas, Chapter.
In addition to the officers, the NAWIC board is comprised of a national director from the association's eight regions. Each director serves a two-year term and is elected by her peers to bring the wishes and needs of the chapters to the attention of the association. New directors installed include:
- Pacific Northwest Region Director Ruth Fritts, Boise, Idaho, Chapter;
- South Atlantic Region Director Lorie Lythgoe, Richmond, Va., Chapter;
- South Central Region Director Dena Rowland, Fort Worth, Texas, Chapter; and
- Southeast Region Director Angelia McElroy, CIT, Tampa, Fla., Chapter.
- Midwest Region Director Debbie Speake, Southwest Missouri Chapter;
- North Central Region Director Anne Pfleger, CIT, Lima, Ohio Area Chapter;
- Northeast Region Director Catherine D. Schoenenberger, Granite State Chapter (New Hampshire); and
- Pacific Southwest Region Director Lorelee Langworthy, CBT, CDS, CIT, San Diego, Calif., Chapter.
About the Author
Autumn Daughetee is the Communications Director at National Association of Women in Construction.