Used mast climber safety
Five-point safety checklist
By Kevin O’Shea
Hydro-Mobile’s Kevin O’Shea offers a five-point checklist for contractors in the market for used mast climbers:
- Request service records. (You are entitled to the last annual inspection paperwork, the operators, maintenance and parts manuals and the ANSI manual of responsibilities.)
- Contact the manufacturer for product updates and ensure they were done.
- Check for fabrication work. If there is evidence of this type of work, check the welder’s certification. Go a step further and ask the manufacturer for an opinion on the repair.
- Ask the seller for evidence that the equipment has been inspected and maintained by qualified personnel.
- Buy from a recognized dealer or manufacturer.
Originally published in Masonry magazine.
About the Author
Kevin O’Shea is director of safety and training for Hydro-Mobile. He has served as the Safety Committee Chairman for the Mason Contractors Association of America.