The 2015 SPEC MIX BRICKLAYER 500® Regional Winners to-date are in through October
Winners are headed to Las Vegas to determine who is the “World’s Best Bricklayer”
By Ashley Wolfe
The 2015 SPEC MIX BRICKLAYER 500 Regional season is already half over, and the first place winning teams for 14 of the 20 qualifying competitions have earned their spot on the 2016 World Championship roster. Each of the first place bricklayers and their respective mason tenders will be headed to Las Vegas to compete against their fellow tradesmen from across North America to determine who is the “World’s Best Bricklayer!”
The 14th Annual SPEC MIX BRICKLAYER 500 World Championship Event will be held on Wednesday, February 3, 2016 at the World of Concrete/World of Masonry tradeshow in the Gold Lot of the Las Vegas Convention Center. In a town where “cash is king” it’s only fitting that these masonry teams will compete for approximately $100,000 in cash and
prizes, including a 2016 Ford F-250 XLT 4x4 truck.
The SPEC MIX BRICKLAYER 500 competition is unique; it promotes masonry both regionally and internationally through an exciting year-round campaign that culminates in Las Vegas during the World of Concrete tradeshow. The mission is to unite all the major players in the masonry trade: manufacturers, trade media, associations, contractors, masons, mason apprentices, mason tenders and their enthusiastic families to promote the trade. The competitions inspire a sense of fun, family, pride, and a love for the skill of masonry while calling attention to the value it offers to our world.
Along the way, the Regional Qualifying Competitions leading up to the SPEC MIX BRICKLAYER 500 World Championship have led to coverage by regional TV and newspaper media in many markets. That coverage in-turn provides an increased sense of awareness of the profession of masonry and supports workforce development initiatives in North America.
Now in its 14th year, the SPEC MIX BRICKLAYER 500 is still growing. There is more bricklaying excitement yet to come in October and November before the 2015 qualifying schedule wraps up in Phoenix, Arizona, on November 7th. If you have the opportunity to attend a regional event, don’t miss it—you’ll be amazed at the skill, speed and stamina of today’s masons that are constructing our buildings, brick by brick.
2015 SPEC MIX BRICKLAYER 500 Regional Winners to-date:
1. OhioMason: Emilio Dibra, Tender: Charlie Cheatham, Contractor: United Masonry, Cleveland, OH, Brick Count: 475
2. Eastern TennesseeMason: Jason Peek, Tender: Scott Watson, Contractor: Peek Masonry, Church Hill, TN, Brick Count: 382
3. UtahMason: Scott Tuttle, Tender: Dayne Carter, Contactor: Quik Trowell Masonry, Clearfield, UT, Brick Count: 579
4. AlabamaMason: Darrell Evett, Tender: Joey Evans, Contractor: Evett Masonry, Scottsboro, AL, Brick Count: 521
5. IllinoisMason: Steve Cleveland, Tender: Sedat Süpürgeci, Contractor: Midwest Masonry, Mundelein, IL, Brick Count: 557
6. ColoradoMason: Esteban Cabral, Tender: Oscar Gausin, Contractor: Phoenix Masonry, Denver, CO, Brick Count: 632
7. PennsylvaniaMason: Vince Polverini, Tender: Rich Small Jr., Contractor: D.M. Sabia, Conshohocken, PA, Brick Count: 432
8. WisconsinMason: Nick Brock, Tender: Jake Brock, Contractor: Exteriors Plus, LLC, Fort Atkinson, WI, Brick Count: 514
9. WashingtonMason: Phil Evans, Tender: Brenden Evans, Contractor: R & D Masonry, Marysville, WA, Brick Count: 485
10. South CarolinaMason: David Kelly, Tender: Jordan Kelly, Contractor: Kelly Masonry, Pendleton, SC, Brick Count: 364
11. OklahomaMason: Darian Douthit, Tender: Andy Zepeda, Contractor: Providence Masonry LLC, Fairland, OK, Brick Count: 644
12. OntarioMason: Mario Alves, Tender: Kevin Avila, Contractor: A & M Masonry, Hamilton, ON, Brick Count: 617
13. West TennesseeMason: Bruce Miller, Tender: Jorge Goitia, Contractor: Miller Masonry, Riverside, IA, Brick Count: 686
14. CaliforniaMason: David Jones Sr., Tender: Mark Starkweather, Contractor: Bratton Masonry, Sacramento, CA, Brick Count: 480
The SPEC MIX BRICKLAYER 500 Regional and World Championship series of events are widely considered the masonry industry’s strongest promotional program to showcase the skill, speed and craftsmanship of professional masons around the world. Established by SPEC MIX, Inc. in 2003, the SPEC MIX BRICKLAYER 500 is the trade’s annual campaign that answers the question: “Who is the World’s Best Bricklayer?” The winners of each regional qualifying competition earn free trip to Las Vegas to compete against 20 or more bricklayers in the World Championship held during the World of Concrete tradeshow on February 3rd, 2016.
The regional and championship contests consist of a two-person team; one mason and mason tender, that are given 60 minutes to construct a 26 foot 8 inch, double wythe brick wall that must be constructed to meet strict quality standards. The walls are judged by highly qualified, experienced industry experts that carefully follow a 10-point criteria system. The winning masons are ranked and awarded prizes based on the highest brick count while meeting the quality requirements and competition rules. The competition has four awards; 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place which are based on the highest net brick count meeting the quality standards. The 4th award, and arguably considered the most coveted price (prize), the SPEC MIX TOP CRAFTSMAN is judged the most sellable wall with over 500 brick laid. The walls are closely evaluated by carefully selected masonry officials carrying several years of bricklaying experience.
About the Author
Ashley Wolfe is the Marketing Communications Manager for SPEC MIX, Inc.