Patlan Named 2019 Fastest Trowel
Gerardo Patlan is the 2019 Fastest Trowel on the Block champion
The annual MCAA Fastest Trowel on the Block competition, held January 23, 2019 during MASONRY MADNESS® and the MCAA Convention at the World of Concrete/World of Masonry in Las Vegas, drew a record crowd to catch the fastest twenty minutes in masonry and see who would win the $8,000 grand prize.
The contest pits journeyman masons, accompanied by their favorite tender, against one another in a show of speed. Each contestant’s goal was to complete as much of a 30-foot long wall as possible, using 8”x8”x16” CMU and the provided mortar in a twenty minute heat. But speed alone won’t net the $8,000 check for first place. Contestants were also judged on craftsmanship, and use of normal masonry practices and hand tools.
Each mason worked quickly to build a quality wall, while the crowd cheered them on throughout the twenty minute competition. After the judges completed their scoring, the results were announced.
The top-placing contestants in this year’s competition were:
Gerardo PatlanAdams Fence LLC
Tender: Roberto Patlan
Block Count: 133
Gerardo Patlan placed first in the 2017 MCAA Fastest Trowel on the Block competition and second in 2018.
Noe MartinezCurran Masonry Corporation
Tender: David Puga
Block Count: 130
Noe Martinez placed first in the 2016 MCAA Fastest Trowel on the Block competition, and third in 2017 and 2018.
Jose SotoSargon Masonry
Tender: Tomas Quinonez
Block Count: 129
Jose Soto won the 2018 MCAA Fastest Trowel on the Block competition. He placed second in 2016 and 2017.
Winners were presented with trophies, plus first place took home $8,000, a special trophy from Marshalltown, boots from Iron Age Footwear, and a 10-pack of mortar boards from GATORBACK; second place received $2,500; and $1,500 was awarded to third place. Cash prizes were provided by SPEC MIX, LLC. All winners received a Marshalltown tool bag and tools, and additional prizes. All contestants received a level from competition sponsor Stabila, a Marshalltown tool bag, safety glasses from Beeline Purchasing, LLC, and a GROUT GRUNT masonry scoop.
The MCAA would like to thank the judges from across the country for donating their time and expertise:
- Nick Gonzales, Sunnyside Masonry, LLC; Peoria, Ariz.
- John Ambach, Ambach Masonry Construction, Inc.; Sorrento, Fla.
- Mike Canez III, Atlas Masonry; Phoenix
- Robert Collins, BrickMasons Apprenticeship; Arcadia, Calif.
- Ron Gaylord, GP Masonry & Concrete of Ocala; Ocala, Fla.
- Bill Greco, T. Hansen Construction; Papillion, Neb.
- Scott Guilbault, Fraco USA, Inc.; Warren, Mich.
- Brandon Hartsell, Gates Construction Company, Inc.; Mooresville, N.C.
- Chick Hatton, Fraco; Baltimore
- Dan Hiltebeitel, Retired; Honey Brook, Pa.
- Robert Jacabacci, Bullard-Havens Technical High School; Bridgeport, Conn.
- Patrick Martin, CDCR-State of Califormia/SCC-Sierra Conservation Center; Jamestown, Calif.
- Kevin Potter, Bricklayers & Allied Craftworkers Local 2 NY/VT; Albany, N.Y.
- Phillip Samblanet, The Masonry Society; Longmont, Colo.
- Melvin Schwendeman, Lang Masonry and Restoration Contractors; Waterford, Ohio
- Steve Sianez, BrickMasons Apprenticeship; Arcadia, Calif.
- Tom Vacala, Restore Masonry LLC; Chicago
- Terry Watts, True Bond Maosnry, LLC; Doyline, La.
- Reggie Wilson, WDP Construction Group, Inc.; Ft. Worth, Texas
- National Concrete Masonry Association (NCMA)
- AZ Best Block
- GATORBACK, Inc.
- SPEC MIX, LLC
- Beeline Purchasing, LLC
- GATORBACK, Inc.
- GROUT GRUNT
- Iron Age Footwear
- Marshalltown Company
- SPEC MIX, LLC
MCAA Strategic Partners
- EZG Manufacturing
- Federated Insurance
- Fraco Products, Ltd.
- Hohmann and Barnard, Inc.
- Husqvarna Construction Products
- Hydro Mobile
- iQ Power Tools
- Kennison Forest Products, Inc.
- Mortar Net Solutions
- Non-Stop Scaffolding
- Southwest Scaffolding
- SPEC MIX, LLC
- Trademen’s Software, Inc.
About the MCAA’s Fastest Trowel on the BlockThe MCAA’s Fastest Trowel on the Block is hosted annually by the MCAA as part of MASONRY MADNESS® during the MCAA Convention at the World of Concrete/World of Masonry in Las Vegas. The competition is a showcase of industry craftsmanship and a testament of both the speed and skill of our industry’s workforce.
The 2020 MCAA Fastest Trowel on the Block will be held Wednesday, February 5, 2020 during the MCAA Convention at the World of Concrete/World of Masonry in Las Vegas.
For more information about the competition and to register, please visit www.fastesttrowel.com.
About the Author
The Mason Contractors Association of America (MCAA) is the national trade association representing mason contractors. The MCAA is committed to preserving and promoting the masonry industry by providing continuing education, advocating fair codes and standards, fostering a safe work environment, recruiting future manpower, and marketing the benefits of masonry materials.